It’s an unpleasant, harsh reality. We are all subject to unexpected loss of valuables—whether identity theft, a ransacked automobile, or a burglarized home.
But what about security when your home is unoccupied? What can you do to minimize the likelihood of theft or vandalism? Here at Ernies' Van and Storage, we've picked up a few tricks.
Here are a few tips to help you stay safe.
- Batten Down the Hatches. Windows and doors are the entry points, so they need to be strong and secure. Check your locks, and don’t leave that easy-to-find spare key under the mat or planter.
- Enlist Your Neighbors. Let your neighbors know when you are away and ask them to keep an eye out for suspicious activity. Arrange to have someone take in your mail and newspapers. And if your Aunt Nancy will be stopping in to feed the cat while you are gone, let them know what kind of car she drives so they don’t call the cops on her.
- Use Lights to Your Advantage. Thieves love the cover of darkness. Motion sensors on outdoor floodlights can effectively discourage prowlers. By the same token, indoor lights on timers can create the illusion that someone is home at night and discourage crooks from approaching.
- Get a Virtual Dog. Even if you don’t own a vicious Doberman, you can make outsiders think you do. A “beware of dog” sign in the yard can be more effective than mace in keeping intruders away. So can a “protected by electronic surveillance” sign. Some savvy homeowners even use audio recordings of a dog barking as “aural dissuasion.”
- Practice Social Circumspection. Crooks use social media, too. Think twice before broadcasting your life lived largely in real time. Wait until you get safely back home before sharing your fabulous travel photos.
- Use Tools of Technology. Electronic home security is becoming more popular and more affordable. Here is an article that describes 20 security devices each costing under 20 dollars.
As a full-service, Rocklin moving and storage company, Ernie’s Van & Storage offers you a big assurance of security when you move. We perform background checks on all our associates, so you can be confident in the quality of the people who handle your possessions. Not all movers in Rocklin can make this claim. Contact us today if you would like to get started on your move.